Doing Away With Subsidies... Or Not | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Monday, May 31, 2010

Doing Away With Subsidies... Or Not

Recently, there is a hotly debated topic about reducing subsidies for the Rakyat over the next five years or in nine years, Malaysia will be bankrupt like Greece. The Government has promised to listen to the people and even held a open day forum in KL Convention Centre recently. I was not in KL that day or I too would have made my way there.

Frankly, as a middle class family, I do not see how we could cope if things become even more expensive than they already are. We are stretching the Ringgit as much as possible and although I would say that we are coping quite well now, this is only because we rarely eat out, we do not have a refrigerator, a washing machine or an air-conditioner. My friends think that my family is rather weird but I don't care. I am the one paying the bills every month. Not them.

Now, the Government has also said that if we are not agreeable to the reduction of subsidies, they are willing to listen and they are also open to solutions and feedback that we may offer. The solution is pretty simple, actually.

Why don't wastage be reduced from the top down and top ranking public servants get a pay cut from next month onwards? These people are already using tax payers' money to support their lifestyle from free car to free accommodation. Why add to the burden of the Rakyat?

With the impending increase in fuel prices and implementation of some stupid, senseless laws like the end of life for vehicles above a certain number of years, I can just envision that some years in the future, only extremely rich Malaysians can afford to own cars.

0 comments:

Post a Comment