The Pink Ribbon and Other Colours | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Sunday, October 08, 2006

The Pink Ribbon and Other Colours

Years ago, when Estee Lauder first started the Breast Cancer Awareness Foundation, I got myself a handful of pink ribbons and printed cards with all the information on self breast examination and sent out to my friends. Ahhh those days, I was such a damn busybody haha!

I was not that ignorant to only send to female friends. I also spread the message to my male friends. All men have mothers, sisters, wives or girlfriends too. Moreover, even men can get this dreaded disease. Cancer is getting more and more prevalent it's scary.

Anyway, when I sent out the ribbons to my friends, I remember getting a response from one particular guy who asked me, "Did you know that the pink ribbon is a symbol of homosexuality in Germany?"

I think that since then, as the pink ribbon has been widely accepted in breast cancer awareness campaigns, homosexual groups have adopted the rainbow-coloured ribbon instead.

Red ribbon - by far the most well-known, is used in AIDS awareness campaigns

Purple ribbon - signify the toll of urban violence

Yellow ribbon - to raise awareness for POW/MIA persons, hostages, and human rights and equality movements

Green ribbon - worn by environmental activists, especially those in the entertainment industry concerned about the use of tropical plywood in movie sets

Blue ribbon - promote awareness of crime victims' rights. It has been adopted by the campaign against Internet censorship (online free speech)

2 comments:

_butt said...

Interesting!!

hmm.. wonder how's the rainbow colored ribbon looks like..

Em said...

Not sure. Maybe a bunch of different coloure ribbons, or a strip of multi-coloured ribbon.

Post a Comment