Born on the 4th of July | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Born on the 4th of July

That's my old, old, old German pen-pal. Not old in age la, but in the years that we have kept in touch, since my very first letter to him. That was 15 years ago! Almost half a lifetime, man.

As time passes, of course we changed too. Our priorities are different now. We are still in touch, but from an average of 8 airmail letters a year, down to maybe 3 or 4 now, excluding e-mail.

I must say, it's not easy to find a long lasting pen-palship, but I am very thankful to have found him. Through the years, never once did he miss sending me birthday wishes and Season's greetings. It is indeed a very surprising trait in a guy.

We never met, and only talked once on the phone. I wonder if we will ever meet, or will we still write to each other when we are both married, have kids, grandkids, great grandkids.

We now each have a bagful of gifts, cards and letters containing our dreams, ambitions, aspirations, heartache, sorrow tales, been though the deaths of family members and pets, discussion on religion, politics, nation's policies, well.... nothing is too taboo.

I wonder if there's anyone else in the world as lucky to have found a "soul-mate" in a foreign land. He's more than enough reason for me to support Germany! GO! GO! GO! or should it be GOAL! GOAL!! GOAL!!!?

0 comments:

Post a Comment