Minor Protest In Ipoh | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Friday, January 08, 2010

Minor Protest In Ipoh

While friends in KL have reported that there were protests earlier today in the capital city against the use of the word "Allah" as reference to "God", where some churches received threatening phone calls while some were burnt, a neighbour told us that there was a minor protest in Ipoh this afternoon.

While I am not taking a stand on the use of the term, even though as far as I know, Allah has been used as a direct translation of God to Bahasa Malaysia since I-don't-even-know-when, it is definitely wrong to show one's displeasure by threatening churches, let alone burn them!

Don't get me wrong. They can protest, of course, but do it the intelligent way. What good will violence do? Sure, the point is brought across but there are many ways to do so, I believe. However, this just proves the point that racial tension has been brewing in the country for years. This isn’t a good sign. I’m not looking forward to the day it explodes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment