Deepavali: The Festival Of Lights & Firecrackers | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Deepavali: The Festival Of Lights & Firecrackers

I'm not living in multi-cultural and multi-religion Malaysia if I do not have Hindu readers. So in conjunction with Deepavali, I would like to wish all who are reading this and who are celebrating Deepavali, "Happy Deepavali. May the light illuminate your heart."

After doing some research on the web, I have found that Deepa means LIGHT in Tamil while Avali means A COLLECTION OF LIGHTS.

I also understand that while Malaysians refer to the Festival of Lights as Deepavali, Northern Indians know Deepavali as Diwali. So there are actually two names for this day and we use them interchangably in Malaysia now.

Last night, Snoopy slept early so I followed suit but was rudely awoken by the blasting of firecrackers at the stroke of midnight. SIGH... I thought that Deepavali is the Festival of Lights. Now it is the Festival of Firecrackers too.

0 comments:

Post a Comment