Prevalence of Domestic Violence | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Prevalence of Domestic Violence

No matter how much you love this man, no matter how much he may love you, if ever he lifts a hand and hits you, he's not worth it.
I received a forwarded email from a friend recently on the prevalence of domestic violence in the United States.

An aunt of mine was a victim of domestic violence and I tell you, we could hardly do anything to help her. No matter how many times she reported to the police, they did NOTHING but tell her to "go home". Go home to an abusive husband who will apologise and then RAISES HIS HAND again and again whenever he felt like it?

Even though he was my uncle, I had no respect for him. In the end, my aunt manged to seek a separation and then a divorce. My ex-uncle moved to the United States where he co-habitated with a woman.

After a few years, early one morning, my aunt received a telephone call from his new woman who asked my aunt what kind of man is this? It seems that he hit her also.

It is a myth that a man with a seemingly good background and one who is educated will not hit his partner. It is not true at all. My ex-uncle is an educated man who earned a good salary and held a high post in his company.

When my aunt confirmed that this is an abusive man, the new woman plotted her escape and one day just packed her bags and left him without leaving any trace of herself. We do not know where she went or what happened to her, but looking at the way she left, she was really afraid that she would die in his hands.

I remind myself with the quote at the beginning of my post, but if I were really a victim of domestic abuse, I am not sure if I will have the strength to walk away.

If you are a victim to domestic abuse, please seek help.
If you know of someone who is suffering from domestic abuse, please do all you can to help her.

0 comments:

Post a Comment