Pet Food Recall in the US | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Friday, April 06, 2007

Pet Food Recall in the US

I have been so bogged down by health concerns of my monkey and myself that I did not even know of the recall of pet food in the United States until Paul told me about it. He is an animal lover and so am I.

Now that he told me about it, I vaguely recall reading about pets in the United States dying of liver failure due to tainted pet food. A search on the internet brought more news reports on such an unfortunate incident.

There was a recall of a long list of pet food recently and it seems that all food on retail shelves now are free to consume. Once confidence is shattered, do pet food companies think that our security will be restored so easily?

In this incident, it is said that only canned food distributed in North America were affected and those in the rest of the world are safe. But for how long?

I remember a few years ago, there was a recall for Pedigree dry dog food (kibbles) because the manufacturing plant in Thailand was contaminated. We had to throw away the food and send in the empty packages. We were only partially compensated, caused us, the pet owners to lose money AND risking the health of our pets. I was of course not happy with that incident and how the issue was handled.

I can't even begin to figure why businesses place profit above all things as if pets are "just" animals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment