2 SMRT 4 U ~ Online Safety :: A Community Message | ** An Anonymous Journal **

Sunday, November 19, 2006

2 SMRT 4 U ~ Online Safety :: A Community Message

Since being exposed to blogging about six months ago, and started reading local blogs through Petaling Street Project, I have been amazed at the boldness of some bloggers who have no qualms about publishing photos of themselves, friends and family, and also leaving contact details like instant messenger IDs and private e-mail addresses in a public blog.

I even came across one girl blogger (maybe there are more) who posted her mobile number on her blog. It may be a prepaid number but from 15th December, 2006 onwards, there will be no difference between a prepaid or postpaid line in terms of ease in obtaining personal information of the owner.

I have mentioned quite a few times on my own blog and through chatting with fellow bloggers about my concern, but they seem unperturbed.

Call me paranoid, but in this world, one never know what sort of people are around us, and what are their intentions, until it is too late.

Today, I came across this programme called Teen Online Safety :: 2 SMRT 4 U, and I feel it is my duty to help spread the message across in whatever small way I possible can.

Image courtesy of Teen Online Safety

According to a survey done in March 2006, 71% of teens receive messages online from someone they don’t know. While this is probably a research carried out on American teens, and the target of this campaign is towards teenagers, I do not see how far off the mark it is for other website or blog owners. And being older doesn't mean that we will not be gullible or susceptible to such contact.

2 SMRT 4 U has a page dedicated to the DOs and Don'ts of creating an online presence and what or who we should be cautious of. If you come across cyber predators, REPORT THEM.

For comprehensive information, please read THIS PAGE. Happy SAFE Blogging!

0 comments:

Post a Comment